In July 1919, a year after the guns stopped, a letter appeared in The
Press. It was from a Christchurch woman named Wyn Irwin, and it proposed
that the city build a memorial arch over the bridge where its soldiers
had marched off to war. The public backed her, the money was raised, and
on 11 November 1924, Armistice Day, the Governor-General unveiled the
arch: the Bridge of Remembrance, spanning the Avon at the head of Cashel
Street.
The bridge itself was older and plainer. It had been built in 1873 by an
engineer named Edward George Wright, who was paid five hundred and nine
pounds for it, about a hundred and fifty thousand dollars in today's
money. It was just a road over the river, two terraces joined. What made
it worth turning into a memorial was what had happened on it: soldiers
from King Edward Barracks on Cashel Street marched across this spot on
their way to the railway station at Moorhouse Avenue, on their way to the
First World War, then the Second, then Borneo, Korea, Malaya and Vietnam.
The arch was built over the exact place where they crossed the Avon, so
that the men who went to war came back under it.
Inscribed in the stone is the arch's single Latin line: Quid non pro
patria. "What would a man not do for his country?" The Latin was the
Empire's way of making a promise permanent, the same language as the
regiments' mottos and the gravestones the families of the dead had
already seen. The question in the inscription does not expect an answer;
every man who marched under it had already given one.
The arch took the earthquakes hard. Vandals sprayed it with graffiti in
February 2011, and a fortnight later the earthquake cracked it. Repairs
cost six point seven million dollars, and it was rededicated on Anzac
Day 2016, with the crowds in the mall standing silent under the arch the
way their families had stood silent a hundred years before.
Walk through it now and you cross the same bridge, over the same river,
between the same two terraces. The motor traffic was taken away decades
ago, and the arch is left to do what Wyn Irwin wanted it to do in 1919:
stand over the water and remember the men who crossed it and did not
come back under it.
Source
Wikipedia